How To Treat GERD In Babies
Being a new parent is hard but throw GERD into the mix and your parenting job just got that much harder. If you notice that your infant spits up a lot or cries after feedings, they may be suffering from GERD. So, what is GERD and how can it be treated? Let’s take a closer look.
What Is GERD?
GERD or acid reflux is a condition that primarily affects infants and babies— although some adults can get it as well. In infants, GERD is typically due to a poorly coordinated gastrointestinal tract. The good news about GERD is that most infants grow out of it just after their first birthday if not before.
What Are Symptoms Of GERD In Infants?
As previously mentioned, GERD can make your baby spit up a lot after feedings and cry due to irritation or discomfort. Symptoms of GERD in infants also include:
- Wet burps
- Inability to gain weight
- Abnormal arching
- Frequent Choking
- Frequent Coughing
What Are Treatments?
Whether you are breastfeeding or bottle feeding, here are a few tips that can help your little one find some relief from their reflux:
- Hold them Upright for 30 Minutes After a Feeding: This will help ensure that their food can digest.
- Thicken the Bottle: Consult your pediatrician before you do this, but sometimes thickening the bottle with some rice cereal is a good way to cut down on reflux and ensure that they are getting the vitamins and nutrients they need.
- Try Smaller Feedings: If you have a particularly young baby, this may be tricky but try feeding them smaller amounts more frequently.
- Try Solid Foods: Make sure to consult with your pediatrician before you try solid foods.
- Elevate Their Head When Sleeping: Try elevating their head in their crib or bassinet but make sure you aren’t using pillows or blankets because they may cause suffocation. A good way to elevate their head is to do so from underneath the mattress.
Schedule A Consultation
If your little one has acid reflux or GERD, try the tips above to help. To learn more about this condition or to learn more, contact our office today call us.